It’s dark before 5PM. I’m having Polar Vortex flashbacks and Starbucks over here couldn’t wait to bust out their holiday cups. Yup, it must be official gourd-eating season. Let’s pretend we enjoy long winter nights with an easy acorn squash recipe that demands little from your hibernation schedule.
Roasted Acorn Squash with Chipotle Seasoned Ham
This recipe is whatever you need it to be. Hefty side dish for two people. Light main for two people. A full meal for one hungry, daylight-deprived girl. What you’ll need:
- 1 Acorn squash, small to medium
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- Roughly 3/4 cup cubed or sliced ham (I used uncured City Ham from Smoking Goose.)
- Ground Chipotle chile
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Let’s Make This
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Cut the squash in half with a large kitchen knife.
- Scoop out the seeds and cut a little bit off the outside of each so they sit flat.
- Lay the squash face up in a small roasting pan. Drizzle thoroughly with olive oil to coat the insides well.
- Sprinkle in the garlic and add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Next layer in the ham. Sprinkle with as much Chipotle chile powder as you can tolerate.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the edges of the squash are golden brown and the squash yields to your prodding fork.
If you can find sugar-free ham well then BOOM this meal also earns you Paleo points. Enjoy!